Thursday, August 26, 2004

Focusing on the Positive

The purpose of this blog is to bring up solutions to problems rather than just air complaints as happens so much in the media and in blogs. Sometimes I find myself falling into that trap out of feelings of exasperation.

Sometimes the news is so overwhelmingly bad, it seems to block out an awareness of the good that happens and the hope that we must have if we are to persevere and overcome.

I read today about billions missing from funds that are supposed to help re-build Iraq, and about how the recent reports on the abuse at Abu Grhaib seem to be trying to direct everyone's attention away from the people at the top who should be taking responsibility for these failures. You can search for those yourself using Google News (see the link in the right column of this page.)

I am writing today as a form of therapy. I realize that I need to re-focus my writing here on seeking to highlight positive solutions to the problems we face and to refrain from wanton criticism, which I have chosen to make the work of other blogs. It can feel good to harp on something, but I feel like there is an over abundance of that on the web. I haven't seen too much on solutions, which is why I made that the main purpose of this blog. I'm trying to fill a niche. (Now, how to get more people reading...?)

Please check out my Restraint, Cooperation, and Outreach project pages for the main points of the presentation I do on rethinking the Global War on Terror. Criticism of that idea is part of the argument I make, but I go farther than others by offering a positive approach to take place of the emphasis on war.

Please forward the link of this blog, and the link to my Restraint, Cooperation, and Outreach project to anyone interested in creating Something Better.

Universal

No comments: